The best was to sell everyone is, well actually there is no perfect way to sell everyone or I should say that the same approach will not work for every prospect. The salesman must be alert to the type of prospect they are selling to, and choose the approach that way. You may have a boiler plate sales script that works better than most others and in many cases it may work fine, but before you go blurting it out it helps to know what kind of potential client you've got either on the phone, or in front of you. What interests them, what's important? Think in advance and avoid things they aren't interested in and stick heavily to those they are. How can I get this information you say? I know you aren't a mind reader but there are plenty potential choices depending on the situation. If it's a referral ask the person who's giving the referral about that person before you call on them. Perhaps you are exchanging leads with another salesperson, so check their notes and ask them about anything special they might remember about the prospects in the list. If the prospects are there with a spouse, friend or relative ask them. I saved the easy one for last and that is to ask the prospect directly and get them to talk. Most peoples number one subject to talk about is themselves, lets face it they are the expert. Once you know what kind of person you are dealing with, then you can choose the best way to sell them. Some prospects will like the hard sell and respond well to it, where the salesperson can pitch hard with conviction and practically twist a clients arm off to buy. While others will be completely offended by aggressive sales tactics and will shut you down if you try to sell them that way. These people need a much softer approach. Many people these days are very cost consious and aren't going to spend a dime if they don't think they are getting their moneys worth and then some. They'd rather do without than make a bad purchase. Others can be the exact opposite they buy what they want nomatter what it costs. When you meet this customer unless you really screw it up, it's a done deal. These are the kind of people that walk into a car dealership, point to a car and say "clean it up I'm driving it home, now how much do I make the check out for?" Yes, sometimes it will be that easy. Whatever way you need to go just make sure to stick to that approach. I've had little success in switching tactics from call to call or meeting to meeting. However if you've sold them the wrong way an expert salesperson will notice this and can help you close the deal if you work with others. A successful salesperson will over time notice these differences in customers. It's your bsuiness to know this and figure people out, and know what will get the credit card out of their pocket. The person who blindly pitches everyone with the same newbee script will make sales, but the will also miss just as many if not more. Maybe you've got to do that when you are just getting started but as you grow and expand you skills you'll learn to figure people out and give them what they are looking for. I've heard Zig say more than once that if you give a man what he wants you'll get what you want...a big fat paycheck. Actually that's what I said, Zig Ziglar said, and I looked it up "You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want."
No comments:
Post a Comment