Are You Worth Your Salt?

 This story was passed to me through an old company sales meeting.  My boss was keen on us learning things in a roundabout way. It has nothing to do with closing the deal or overcoming objections.  It is a life lesson that many people unfortunately never learn or learn the hard way.  Will it help you in your sales career? Absolutely! In ways you may never imagine. 

When Jack was 14, his father bought a new Ford truck.  That might not sound like much today, but in Kansas in the dust-bowl days of the 1930's it was quite an achievement.  Jack's dad noticed how proud the boy was of the truck so he asked Jack if he would like to drive it into town and show his "city cousins." Jack was elated, "here's a dime to bring me back a sack of tobacco." said his dad.

Jack took the truck to town, and showed it off to his cousins, and then returned home.  His dad asked him how they liked the truck and Jack sounded off exuberantly for the next ten minutes.  Then his dad asked, "Where's my tobacco?"  The shiny dime was still in Jack's pocket.  "I'm sorry dad, I forgot, I'll go back and get it," he replied.  "All right son" said the father, but this time don't take the truck.  This time you walk."

It was a 10 mile trip, and his dad glanced up at the sun.  "It's 4 o'clock now, and evening chores start at six.  Be back here by that time."  When Jack returned with the tobacco, exhausted but on time his father explained:  "Son, I didn't send you back to town on foot just for the tobacco, or as a punishment for forgetting.  I wanted you to remember, as you go through life, that you have to be dependable.  A person who isn't who isn't dependable isn't worth his salt."

No comments:

Post a Comment